School officials at W.P. McLean Middle School have temporarily changed their arrival and dismissal policies while they investigate an incident that occurred last week.
On Wednesday, Feb. 4, a man with a knife approached a 7th grade student and cut the student’s clothing before classes began that morning, said District Spokesperson Clint Bond.
“The student was not harmed," Bond said. "Police were notified and the investigation started immediately."
Since the incident happened on the south entrance of the school, dismissal and arrival procedures will be affected, Principal John Engel said.
Students will not be allowed on the plaza prior to school and should be dropped off beginning at 8:45 a.m. in the front of the school, according to the note sent home with students.
“Additional police, as well as the McLean staff, will continue to have a visible presence during dismissals and arrivals,” Engel said.
Engel said he and his staff are increasing safety standards for a period of time, and they are using “an abundance of caution” for their approximately 1,050 students.
“I feel like the incident has been taken care of, and I feel like the principal is making everyone feel safe,” said Anna Whitworth, a 7th grade student. “I’m not afraid to go to school after this incident.”
Engel said more visibility is key during this time, and the school will continue to have one police officer and two hall monitors.
“We take the safety of our students, our employees and visitors to our campus very seriously,” Engel said.
Fort Worth ISD and the Fort Worth Police Department are continuing their investigation.