The fall commencement ceremony is Saturday, Dec. 19, at the Ed and Rae Schollmaier Arena, but families will need to pass the time until then and find a place to celebrate afterwards.
This list of activities, restaurants and events going on in Fort Worth will make sure that families of soon-to-be alumni have a weekend (Thursday, 17th-Sunday, 19th) they’ll never forget.
- The Fort Worth Zoo: Rated as the second-best thing to do while in Fort Worth, the zoo is a fun time for the whole family that has a wide range of animals to enjoy.
- Fort Worth Botanic Gardens: Visit the oldest botanic garden in Texas that sits on 109 acres of land and features thousands of different plants.
- The Stockyards: The daily herding of cattle is always a sight to see. Something is always going on in the Stockyards, from the armadillo races to the carriage rides. On Saturday afternoon Pawnee Bill’s Wild West Show is also happening.
- Modern Art Museum: Fort Worth’s museum of modern art has many exhibitions going on currently. Artists include Kehinde Wiley, Joyce Pensato and pieces from the Permanent Collection.
- Texas Motor Speedway – Gift of Lights: Ever wonder what driving on a NASCAR track is like? Look no further because here’s the chance. Drive on the track and under millions of Christmas lights at the speedway.
- West 7th Bars: The bar scene on West 7th is a great place to get some drinks with your Horned Frog and those in your family who are old enough to drink.
- West 7th Starlight Symphony: West 7th is home to a new light and music show synced to holiday classics. The light show debuts Friday at 6 p.m.
- The Stockyards: Just like during the day, there’s a lot going on at night. On Friday and Saturday nights the Stockyards Rodeo Championship showcases the best local talent.
- Del Frisco’s Steakhouse: This steakhouse in downtown Fort Worth is a great place to celebrate and has a delicious menu to match.
- Texas De Brazil: A Brazilian style steakhouse features all-you-can-eat meat and much more. For a different take on steak, go here.
- Clay Pigeon Food and Drink: This restaurant was voted best new restaurant in 2014 by Fort Worth weekly magazine.
- Reata: Also in downtown, this southwestern-themed restaurant features a scenic view of downtown while enjoying a meal.
- The Stockyards: All the fun of the Stockyards means you need somewhere to refuel, and luckily there are several places to eat. From stands on the side of the road to full scale restaurants, there’s plenty to choose from.
- Randy Roger’s Band at Billy Bob’s: The country music band is playing Friday night, Dec. 18 and Saturday night, Dec. 19.
- Stewart Mann & Statesboro Revue at Billy Bob’s: Unlike Randy Roger’s Band, Stewart and his crew are a rock band that have been in the business for awhile. They play Thursday night only.
- Sundance Square Friday Night Concert Series: The weekly installment of the concert series features former contestant from The Voice, Luke Wade.