The student staffs of Image magazine and the TCU 360 news website, along with three student journalists, won regional first place Mark of Excellence Awards from the Society of Professional Journalists and will compete against 11 other regional winners for national MOE Award recognition.
In all, three student media — one in print, one in online and one in television broadcasting — and nine student journalists were honored by SPJ Region 8, which includes Texas and Oklahoma, for work published in 2011. The awards were announced on March 24 at the SPJ Region 8 Spring Conference in Fort Worth.
Image magazine won first place as best student magazine, and TCU 360 won first place as best affiliated website. Additionally, TCU News Now won a second-place award as best all-around television broadcast.
Individual first-place winners were:
• Daniel Ethridge, photo illustration
• Madison Pelletier, television sports reporting
• Brittany Rainville, television news photography
Other individual award recipients include:
• Emily Atteberry, second place, non-fiction magazine article
• Andrea Drusch, second place, online news reporting
• Ashley Iovine, second place, television feature reporting
• Kerri Feczko, second place, television feature photography
• Kerri Feczko, third place, television feature reporting
• Leah Watkins, second place, in-depth television reporting
• David Stein, third place, television sports reporting
• Amelia Wenzel, third place, television feature photography
First-place regional winners will advance to the national round of judging, and the national winners and two runners-up will be announced in late April.