It’s the first weekend back for most TCU students and there are plenty of things to do. We started a weekly list of events and activities for anyone in Fort Worth to do this summer and plan to keep it going all year. Here’s what’s happening this weekend:
JMV Comic Book Show
1. This Saturday presents the JMV Comic Book Show in Fort Worth. Comic book lovers have the opportunity to trade, buy and sell collectables from vintage to modern comic books with other avid fans. The event begins at 11 a.m. with a $2 admission fee. Several local press comic artists, writers and publishers will also be in attendance at the event that will take place at the Radisson Hotel at Fossil Creek.
Complimentary mimosas as Park Hill Cafe
2. The Park Hill Cafe on Park Hill Drive is now serving brunch on Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The brunch includes complimentary mimosas and has menu options ranging from $5.99 to $12.99.
TCU Alumna book signing
3. Former Horned Frog Jennifer Brown Thomas will sign copies of her book Blissful Lies this Saturday at 1 p.m. outside of the TCU Barnes and Noble.
Lee Brice at Billy Bob’s Texas
4. Friday night Lee Brice takes the stage at Billy Bob’s Fort Worth. The show starts at 10:30 p.m. for ages 18 and up and tickets range from $10 to $15. For those looking to get to the venue early, live bull riding will begin at 9 and 10 p.m.
Around the World in 80 Days
5. The Jules Verne novel comes to life this Thursday night at Stage West Theatre on West Vickery. The show, beginning at 7:30 p.m., will continue every Thursday through Sunday until Sept. 30. Tickets, which are normally priced from $26 to $30 are on sale for this week’s showings for only $15 until Friday, Aug. 24.
6. Toppers Pizza is the newest addition to the usual Berry Street food stops. This is the first Toppers Pizza in Texas and is located in The Moon’s old building next to Fuzzy’s Taco Shop. Try this midwestern chain this weekend and give us a review to be published.
Free, live music
7. Catch some sweet tunes on the first weekend back at Capital Bar on Morton Street, off West 7th Street. The Will Callers will play on Thursday night at 9:30. There’s no cover for Wednesday and Thursday events at Capital Bar.