TCU falls to Texas Tech 56-53 in triple overtime


    The game went into triple overtime, with the Red Raiders ultimately beating the Horned Frogs 56-53. TCU and Texas Tech exchanged touchdowns in the first two overtimes. The Frogs scored a field goal in the third overtime, but Texas Tech answered with a touchdown to grab the win.

    Trevone Boykin threw for 332 yards, four touchdowns and two interceptions. Texas Tech’s Seth Doege had 318 yards and seven touchdowns.

    Oberkrom perfect on the game

    TCU’s Jaden Oberkrom went 6-6 on field goals and was perfect on extra points. His 32-yarder with 4:09 left in the third quarter regained the lead for the Frogs at 23-21. He hit 45-, 42-, 38- and 41-yard field goals and a pair of 32-yarders.

    Tech moves backward in third quarter

    The Red Raiders didn’t gain any yards in the third quarter. They totaled minus one yards of offense. Their first drive resulted in a total of negative two yards, aided by David Pierson’s nine-yard sack. Tech’s second drive netted nine yards. The Red Raiders final drive of the quarter started with a three-yard gain, but an 11-yard sack lowered the total to minus eight.

    Frogs take early lead

    TCU struck first on a 19-yard touchdown pass from Boykin to Skye Dawson. The Frogs used two minutes and 23 seconds to go 75 yards for the score. It was the first time since the SMU game that the Frogs found the end zone first. Texas Tech answered with a five-yard touchdown pass from Doege to Eric Ward after an interception by D.J. Johnson set up the Red Raiders at the TCU 33. Oberkrom’s 32-yard field goal put the Frogs up 10-7 at the end of the first quarter.

    Onside kick helps Tech take lead

    Texas Tech closed the deficit to 17-14 on a 33-yard touchdown catch by Darrin Moore with 6:32 left in the first half. The ensuing kickoff by Kramer Fyfe went 14 yards and was recovered by Texas Tech. The Red Raiders used seven plays to capitalize on the recovery. On first-and-10 from the Frogs’ 29-yard line, Doege found Ward in the end zone for a score. The catch was originally ruled incomplete, but a review showed that Ward’s elbow landed in-bounds with the ball