TCU student journalists were honored Saturday for excellence in journalism at the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association annual convention in Fort Worth, taking home several awards across multiple categories.
A total of 46 awards were given out recognizing the Schieffer School of Journalism's multiple platforms including online, print and broadcast.
The TCU 360 news website, the TCU Daily Skiff newspaper, TCU News Now newscast and Image Magazine earned 12 first-plcae awards for content produced in 2012.
TCU 360 and TCU News Now won first place awards for breaking news and non-feature news over coverage of last spring's drug busts.
Director of the Schieffer School of Journalism John Lumpkin said: “This is a tremendous achievement for our students and faculty, who have met the transformative challenge of converting to real-time digital journalism. In this award category, a full-day’s online coverage can be included in the entry and, no doubt, that is where the students shined."
Ryan Osborne, a junior journalism major and TCU 360 reporter at the time of last year's drug busts, received the award for the Division 1 Reporter of the Year. Osborne's award marked the fourth consecutive year that a TCU Student Media journalist has won the top reporter or editor award.
The Daily Skiff, as well as TCU 360 and TCU News Now also won awards for overall drug coverage from the time of the busts through Casey Pachall's arrest in the fall on suspicion of DWI.
“It [the awards] is a tribute to the students, our faculty, the vision of Bob Schieffer and the support of the university and it can make us proud and happy," Lumpkin said.
TCU competes in the Division 1 bracket, which includes the University of Texas at Austin, University of Texas-Arlington, Baylor University, Texas Tech University, Southern Methodist University and the University of North Texas.
Here is the complete list of awards below:
General Magazine, Previously Published
- Image Magazine staff. 1st place, overall design
- Image Magazine staff, 3rd place, overall excellence
- Daniel Ethridge, honorable mention, feature photo
- J.D. Moore, 2nd place, Feature Story
- Matt Coffelt, honorable mention, picture story
- Ryan Osborne, 3rd place, news feature story
- Emily Atteberry, 2nd place, cover design
- Lacey McKee, 2nd place, general news photo
- Matt Coffelt and Jessica Nenow, honorable mention, story package
Television, Previously Published
- Brett Musslewhite, 1st place, sports non-feature story
- Madison Pelletier, 1st place, news non-feature story
- Landon Haaf, 2nd place, sports non-feature story
- TCU News Now staff, 2nd place, best newscast
- Lexy Cruz, Luis Ortiz, Olivia Caridi, Nick Wilson, Joey McReynolds and Michael Dabbs, 2nd place, public affairs program
- Luis Ortiz, 2nd place, audition tape
- Lexy Cruz, honorable mention, audition tape
- .Landon Haaf and Madison Pelletier, 2nd place, sportscast
- Caressa Bateman, 3rd place, sports feature story
- Sneha Antony, 2nd place, news feature story
Newspaper, Previously Published
- TCU Daily Skiff staff, 1st place, special edition/section
- TCU Daily Skiff staff, 3rd place, overall excellence
- Sarah Greufe, 1st place, headline
- Ryan Osborne, 1st place, sports column
- Ryan Osborne, 1st place, sports news story
- Taylor Prater, 3rd place, photo illustration
- Joey McReynolds, honorable mention, news photo
- Staff, honorable mention, editorial
- Alex Apple, 3rd place, general column
- Matt Coffelt, honorable mention, sports action photo
- Michael Gutierrez, honorable mention, feature story
- Brett Musslewhite, honorable mention, sports feature story
- Lexy Cruz, Jake Harris and J.D. Moore, honorable mention, news story
- Steve Switzer, honorable mention, information graphic
- Emily Atteberry, 2nd place (tie), in-depth reporting
- J.D. Moore, 2nd place (tie), in-depth reporting
Online, Previously Published
- Bailey McGowan, Lexy Cruz and Andrea Masenda, 1st place, best breaking news
- TCU 360 Staff, 1st place, best interactivity
- Lexy Cruz, Jake Harris and Joey McReynolds, 2nd place, best use of multimedia package
- Jordan Rubio, honorable mention, best video
- Lily Lamas, 1st place, Spanish TV announcing
- Joey McReynolds, 1st place, video news
- Evan Recatune: 1st place, headline writing
- Samantha Ehlinger: 2nd place, newspaper design
- Ryan Osborne, 3rd place, sports reporting
Division I Reporter of the Year
- Ryan Osborne
Best of Show, Division I
- TCU Daily Skiff, 3rd place