TCU ends losing streak with win over No. 25 Arkansas


    TCU women’s soccer ended its three-game losing streak as Patry Carrion netted the golden goal for the Horned Frogs, as TCU took down No. 25 Arkansas 2-1 in double overtime.

    TCU came out of the gates aggressive, testing Razorback goalie, freshman Cameron Carter, with shots from all over the field. 

    The Frogs had a chance to strike first early in the opening half when sophomore defender Bobbi Clemmer’s corner kick into the traffic in front of the Arkansas goal rebounded out to senior forward Brittany Slyman, whose shot was blocked by the Arkansas defense.

    The Horned Frogs’ best opportunity came midway through the first half when freshman forward Michelle Prokof launched a straightaway shot over the head of Carter, only to see it float just over the crossbar.

    The first goal of the game came at the 33 minute mark in the second half when Arkansas sophomore forward Lindsey Mayo pushed a shot to the right of the diving arms of TCU goalie, freshman Shannon Coffer.

    Arkansas’s goal was the product of sound passing as the Razorbacks worked the ball through the crowded box with a flurry of headers, eventually finding the open Mayo for the score.

    “Even though we gave up the first goal we didn’t panic, didn’t fret and we kept chipping away,” TCU head coach Eric Bell said. “We were fortunate enough to get the first goal and in overtime we got a long ball that we have been practicing for a long time and it worked out.”

    Despite the goal, Coffer played one of the best games of her young career, recording six saves on 15 Arkansas shots.

    Bell said he was pleased with the steady play of his young goalie.

    “She did a very good job between the pipes and kept us in the game,” Bell said of Coffer. “She made some big-time saves and came up with some long balls that got behind our backline by punching them out or kicking them out.”

    With just under ten minutes left in the game sophomore midfielder Mackenzie Koch netted the equalizer, her team-leading fourth goal of the season.

    Koch took a pass from freshman midfielder Lauren Sajewich and launched the ball from the top of the box past a helpless Carter to tie the game at 1-1.

    “We were extremely tired and we knew we wouldn’t get many more chances so we had to capitalize,” Koch said. “It was honestly one of the last sprints I had in me for that half.”

    Bell attributed the win to TCU’s conditioning, saying that the Frogs were the more fit team, which helped them rally to tie the game late and ultimately win.

    Koch’s goal was TCU’s first score in its last three contests.

    Both teams had opportunities in the first overtime period, exchanging corner kicks, however neither was able to capitalize.

    The Frogs wasted little time in the second overtime as Carrion fought to gain possession in front of the Razorbacks’ goal and punched it in to secure the victory.

    This marks the Horned Frogs second overtime victory this season, the first coming earlier this season against Houston Baptist.

    With 19 minutes left in the first period, Prokof and Arkansas junior defender Allie Tripp collided in midair at midfield, leaving both players shaken up. Prokof remained in the game momentarily but had to leave and be taken to the locker room minutes later with an apparent side injury.

    TCU’s next game will be against Denver on Friday at 7:00 p.m. at Garvey-Rosenthal Stadium.