TCU men’s basketball tops Arkansas-Fort Smith


    The TCU men’s basketball team beat Arkansas-Fort Smith 81-74 in their final exhibition game of the season.

    “Don’t take any credit away from Fort Smith,” TCU head coach Trent Johnson said. “That’s a good basketball team.”

    Senior guard Jarvis Ray, who returned to the court after breaking his foot last season, had a game-high 18 points to go along with eight rebounds and three assists.

    “Jarvis is very competitive, and he’s grown a lot,” Johnson said.

    Ray played much of the game at power forward despite being a natural shooting guard, and Johnson praised his resiliency for it.

    “You look at him battling out there, undersized at times,” Johnson said. “I have to get him in more situations where he can pick and pop.”

    Freshman center Karviar Shepherd, who started the game for the Frogs, had 16 points and 10 rebounds in the win. Shepherd scored 12 of his 16 points in the second half.

    “We like what we saw, but we all want to see better,” Shepherd said.

    The 6’10” big man from Dallas is the highest-rated prospect to ever sign with TCU.

    The freshman trio of Shepherd, Brandon Parrish and Hudson Price scored 38 of the Frogs’ 81 points

    TCU opened the game with a dunk from Ray, which started an 11-4 run. The team never trailed for the rest of the game.

    “I liked how our guys responded there throughout,” Johnson said. “That game, [it never was] where I felt comfortable. They’re a good basketball team.”

    After foul trouble forced TCU to sit several starters for large portions in the first half, the Frogs narrowly led UAFS 38-36 at halftime.

    Four Lions players ended the game with double digits in scoring.

    TCU opened the second half with a 10-4 run and never looked back. The Frogs led by as much as 14 points during the second half.

    Four Frogs (Shepherd, Ray, Hill Jr., and Parrish would end the game with double digits in scoring.

    “Like I told them, I was never concerned about this team being able to score,” Johnson said.

    Personal fouls continued to be a theme for the game, with 58 called in total. The Frogs went 24-42 from the free throw line.

    “We have to learn what not to do and what to do,” Ray said. “We’ll get on it and we’ll work on it.”

    With 1:22 left in the game, freshman Lions guard Seth Youngblood hit a three-pointer that brought TCU’s lead down to only three. Youngblood ended the game with a team-high 16 points.

    TCU then went on a 6-2 run and led by seven with nine seconds left in the game.

    The Lions missed on the ensuing possession, and the Frogs won 81-74.

    As expected, forwards Amric Fields and Chris Washburn were ruled inactive for tonight’s game. Earlier in the week, TCU head coach Trent Johnson said Fields was still recovering from the ACL tear he suffered last November.

    “Fields was gonna play today, but you know what, he would’ve went for 45 points and 48 rebounds and six blocks so I didn’t want to use him,” Johnson said. “No update.”

    Washburn’s eligibility for this season is still under review by the NCAA.

    “No idea,” Johnson said.

    Tonight’s win was TCU’s final scrimmage before the regular season begins next Friday, when the Frogs are scheduled to face the SMU Mustangs at the American Airlines Center.

    “Dress rehearsal’s over so-to-speak and we’ve got a very talented team we have to play on Friday,” Johnson said. “We’ve got a lot of work to do.”