The House of Student Representatives swore in the new student body officers and members of the 101st session during the last Student Government Association meeting of the semester.
Alex Cohen, a College of Science and Engineering representative, was also elected by the representatives as next year’s Speaker of the House during Tuesday’s meeting.
Cohen said he is very passionate about supporting House members in their goals and projects in the upcoming year.
“For House, the Speaker [of the House] is kinda like the coach and the cheerleader,” he said.
In addition, the new committee chairs were elected by House representatives:
• Academic Affairs Commitee chair: Jacob Greenstein
• Dining Services Committee chair: Mark Senter
• Elections and Regulations Committee chair: Luke Erwin
• Finance Committee chair: Garrett Adair
• Student Experience Committee chair: Kelly Shara
• Student Outreach Committee chair: Abigail Buckley
Also taking place during the meeting:
• A resolution was adopted to honor Dr. Linda Moore as the 2013-2014 Faculty Member of the Year. New Vice-President of Operations Matt Spangler presented her with the award.
• A bill to fund the TapRide Program was passed with 67 percent approval. The program will notify students of Froggie Five-O drivers’ arrival through a mobile application, according to the bill.
• A bill to give money to the Iota Eta chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc’s Delta Week barbecue was passed with 80 percent in favor.
• A bill to provide customized wraps for pillars at Market Square was passed with 65 percent approval. The wraps will help students find their friends more easily in Market Square, said bill author Yun Lim.