TCU leads Iowa State 17-3 at halftime


    A tough defensive effort and a strong performance from receiver Josh Doctson has given TCU a 17-3 lead over Iowa State at the half.

    The Horned Frog defense held the Cyclones to 138 yards of offense, and Doctson caught seven passes for 126 yards in the first 30 minutes of play.

    TCU began the game on defense and quickly forced an Iowa State three-and-out.

    Quarterback Trevone Boykin missed connections with Kolby Listenbee and Josh Doctson on deep routes, and the Frogs were forced to punt away their first possession.

    After a second defensive stand, the Frogs got the ball back and surprised Iowa State with a trick play.

    Boykin threw a lateral to senior receiver David Porter, who tossed it across the field back to his quarterback. Boykin had his entire offensive line blocking for him, and easily ran it 55 yards down the sideline for the opening touchdown.

    The Horned Frogs led the Cyclones 7-0 with 9:30 remaining in the first quarter after Boykin’s first receiving touchdown of his career.

    The TCU offense kept rolling, with Boykin completing passes to Porter, Doctson, Gray and Hicks before running back Aaron Green punched it in from three yards out. 

    Green’s eighth rushing touchdown on the year gave TCU a 14-0 lead. He’s been impressive since taking over for the injured B.J. Catalon after the West Virginia game.

    The Cyclones did put some points on the board with their next drive, converting a 26-yard field goal to cut TCU’s lead to 14-3.

    TCU began its fifth drive of the day at its own 10-yard line with 9:50 left in the second quarter.

    Boykin hit Kolby Listenbee for a 49-yard strike down to ISU’s 17-yard line, but the drive stalled after running back Kyle Hicks lost 12 yards on second-and-three.

    Jaden Oberkrom kicked a 39-yard field goal to give TCU a 17-3 lead, and ISU took over on its own 22-yard line after the kickoff.

    Another quick three-and-out gave the ball right back to the Horned Frogs.

    An offensive pass interference on freshman receiver Emanuel Porter derailed TCU’s drive, and the Horned Frogs were forced to punt for a third time.

    Punt returner Cameron Echols-Luper muffed the ensuing Iowa State punt, but cornerback Ranthony Texada silenced the ISU fans with a one-handed interception on the next play.

    The Horned Frogs were driving, looking for one more score before halftime, when Boykin’s fade route was intercepted in the corner of the end zone.

    Iowa State ran out the clock, and the half ended with a score of TCU 17, ISU 3.