Student registered .10 BAC after fatal crash


    The TCU student involved in a fatal car crash earlier this month had a blood alcohol content of .10, according to tests done shortly after the wreck.

    Prosecutors have charged Luke Reed, a senior criminal justice major, with intoxication manslaughter. He is scheduled to appear in court May 7.

    On April 11, Reed was driving the Chevrolet Tahoe that struck Elena De Flores’ Saturn Vue, according to the Fort Worth Police Department. 

    According to police records, Reed, 22, was driving north on Granbury Road toward the intersection of Benbrook Boulevard when the Tahoe veered into a grassy area and jumped the median. It struck the driver’s side door of the Saturn, which flipped twice before landing in a nearby used car lot.

    De Flores was taken to Harris Methodist Hospital where she was pronounced dead. 

    Reed was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital where a blood test determined he had a blood alcohol content of .10, according to police documents. The legal limit in Texas is .08. 

    He was arrested and later released after posting $25,000 bond.

    TCU senior John Morgan, who was a passenger in the Tahoe, was arrested that evening on suspicion of public intoxication, according to police records.

    TCU spokesperson Holly Ellman wrote in an email that the discipline process regarding Reed and Morgan is moving forward.

    According to court records, Reed is represented by attorneys Jeff Kearney and Reagan Wynn.

    Wynn represented Denton teenager Ethan Couch, who was convicted of killing four people while drunk driving in June 2013.

    The case garnered national attention after Judge Jean Boyd sentenced Couch to 10 years of probation, rather than giving him any jail time. Psychologist G. Dick Miller, who the defense hired, testified that Couch was a product of “affluenza” and could not distinguish right from wrong because his parents taught him that wealth buys privilege.

    Tim Hoch, a TCU alumnus, is representing the De Flores family. Hoch said the family might file a civil suit in the coming weeks.