“Go Purple” Fridays have become a tradition all over Fort Worth, and many local businesses are jumping on the bandwagon.
The official days, as declared by Mayor Mike Moncrief, occur every Friday during football season. Citizens are encouraged to wear purple and display TCU memorabilia.
Many businesses around the area offer discounts to those who wear purple on Fridays.
On campus, students and fans can enjoy discounts at Yo! Frozen Yogurt Lounge and the TCU Bookstore. Yo! offers a 15 percent discount and the bookstore offers 20 percent off a purple T-shirt.
The discounts continue all over Fort Worth.
A “Go Purple” business a little farther from campus is Sweet Sammies, a cookie bakery that opened in the West 7th area in February.
Sweet Sammies loves “Go Purple” Fridays, said co-owner Kelly Close.
“We offer any Sammie for $1.99 and we also make a Purple Sammie on Fridays just for TCU fans,” Close said.
The Purple Sammie is made with purple ice cream sandwiched between two homemade sugar cookies with purple sprinkles.
Sweet Sammies caters to many TCU fans every day of the week, but especially on Fridays, Close said. If students forget to wear purple, all they have to do is show a valid student ID.
Junior real estate finance major Fred Ayoub, however, said he had no knowledge of the deals for “Go Purple” Fridays.
“I think TCU should do a better job of advertising these discounts,” Ayoub said.
Because the university sends out so many e-mails a day, important messages get overlooked, Ayoub said.
Junior real estate finance major Courtney Dunn said she appreciated the discounts but chose not to take advantage of them.
“I just never have a lot of money to spend because it all goes to groceries or bills,” Dunn said.
The businesses will continue to offer discounts through the end of November. Participating businesses can be identified by a “Go Purple” Fridays window cling by their front doors.
“Go Purple” Fridays Deals
- Blue Mesa: Free tableside guacamole
- Blue Sushi Sake Grill: 50 percent off the TCU Tower (cold plate)
- Carino’s: 10 percent off total bill
- Circle Cleaners: Five dollars off a $15 ticket
- Free Birds World Burrito: Free chips and salsa
- Hoffbrau: Free appetizer or dessert up to a $6 value
- Los Vaqueros: Half price appetizers
- Ol’ South Pancake House: Ten percent off entire meal
- Pappadeaux: One dollar gumbo with entree purchase
- Pappas Burger: One dollar milkshakes
- Pappasitos: One dollar queso with purchase of entree
- TCU Bookstore: Twenty percent off one purple shirt
- Yo! Frozen Yogurt Lounge: Fifteen percent off
- Sweet Sammies: $1.79 for any sammie