The Daily Skiff and Image magazine took the 2009 Sweepstakes awards at the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association convention in Dallas on Saturday.
The Skiff and Image, which won the most awards at the journalism competition in the daily newspaper and general interest magazine categories, garnered 40 awards, including 13 first place awards. Individual students received 19 awards recognizing their work for Student Publications.
The Skiff, which received the Mark of Excellence award earlier this year by the Society of Professional Journalists for best all-around daily student newspaper, won third place in the Overall Excellence category for daily newspapers. Other student newspapers in the division included those from the University of Texas at Austin, University of Texas at Arlington, Texas Tech University, Texas A&M University, Baylor University, Abilene Christian University, Southern Methodist University and the University of North Texas.
Image Magazine won second place in TIPA’s general magazine category and had previously received the Mark of Excellence award as best magazine in Texas and Oklahoma by SPJ.
Among the awards, the Daily Skiff staff took 1st place in Best (online) Interactivity and Special Edition/Section.
– Hilary Whittier, Andrew Chavez, and Marcus Murphree won 1st place for the Best Use of Multimedia.
– Billy Wessels received the 1st place award for the Sports Column category.
– Max Landman won 1st place for the Information Graphic category.
Image won first place in six categories.
– Jordan Haygood won 1st place in the Feature Story category.
– Andrew Chavez won 1st place in the General News Photo category.
– Lindsey Bever won 1st place in the News Feature Story category.
– Ky Lewis won first place in both the Overall Design and Feature Photo categories.
– Ronald Villegas won 1st place in the Illustration category.