Men’s basketball falls to Baylor 51-40


    Cory Jefferson had 15 points, including consecutive baskets to start Baylor's tiebreaking run, and the Bears beat TCU 51-40 Saturday night in the first meeting in more than 10 years between the instate rivals which are now Big 12 foes.

    Jefferson's floater with 15 minutes left broke a 28-all tie and put Baylor (11-4, 3-0 Big 12) ahead to stay.

    After a TCU (9-7, 0-3) miss, Jefferson had a shot blocked by Adrick McKinney, but Baylor's big forward got the ball right back and responded with a two-handed slam dunk.

    By the time Rico Gathers tipped in a missed 3-pointer only 4½ minutes later, Baylor had capped a 14-2 run to stretch the lead to 42-30.

    Pierre Jackson, Baylor's senior point guard, had 11 points and six assists. Isaiah Austin had 10 points and eight rebounds.

    Charles Hill Jr. had 12 points to lead TCU.

    The Horned Frogs came into the game leading the Big 12 by allowing only 55.6 points a game. While better than that, they couldn't overcome their 33 percent shooting and Baylor's dominating inside duo of Jefferson and Austin, the 7-foot-1 freshman standout.

    TCU had a 23-22 lead at halftime, but that was quickly erased when Austin scored inside to start the second half. That was the first of five lead changes in the first 4 minutes of the half.

    Anderson's jumper tied the game at 28 with 15:18 left, less than a minute after his turnover when he lost the handle of the ball that ricocheted off one of the referees out of bounds.

    A technical foul was called against the Frogs going into the timeout. Anderson expressed some frustration waving his arms and coach Trent Johnson said something on the sideline.

    TCU desperately tried to slow down the pace in the first half. So much so that they had two shot-clock violations on their own and at least two other air-ball shots.

    The game was sloppy from the start.

    At the first media timeout just more than 4 minutes into the game, Baylor led 5-2 and was only 2-of-7 shooting. TCU had missed all four of its shots.

    On the opening possession of the game, the Bears missed two inside shots before Jackson wound up with the ball outside and fed back to Jefferson for a slam. Their only other basket in that opening stretch was a 3-point by A.J. Walton after Jackson penetrated inside and passed back to the left corner.

    Garlon Green had two fouls in the first 3 minutes, to along with a jumper that didn't hit the rim.

    TCU missed its first six shots and had four turnovers before Anderson's 3-pointer from wing just before the second timeout 8 minutes into the game, when the Frogs trailed only 7-6.

    The Bears twice in the first half led by six, including Walton going the length of the court for a spinning driving layup for a 16-10 lead with 8 minutes left. He came away with the ball when Austin blocked McKinney's shot.

    TCU then had its best spurt of the game, scoring eight points in a row for their first lead. Nate Butler-Lind and Hill made 3-poitners before McKinney's inside basket for an 18-16 lead.

    It was the 171st meeting between the two teams whose campuses are only about 90 miles apart, but the first since December 2002 when TCU won its fourth straight in the series. It was their first meeting since the Horned Frogs joined the Big 12 this season. They play again in two weeks in Fort Worth.

    Next for Baylor is a showdown among early Big 12 leaders, when the Bears play at sixth-ranked Kansas (14-1, 2-0) on Monday night. TCU is home Wednesday against 18th-ranked Kansas State (13-2, 2-0).