With another week coming to a close, here’s seven things you can do if you’re in Fort Worth this weekend.
1. With several blockbusters coming out this weekend including "The Hangover Part III" and "Fast & Furious 6," enjoy them without even leaving the car. Coyote Drive-In recently opened in Fort Worth and is located at 223 NE 4th St, about 15 minutes north of campus. The theater shows double features every night, which means patrons can see two movies with a single movie ticket. Tickets are $8 for people over the age of 7, $6 for children 3 to 6 and free for children under 2. Tickets are available for purchase both online and at the gate.
Billy Bob’s Concert
2. This Saturday, Billy Bob’s hosts musical artists Cody Canada and the Departed and Atlanta-based group Drivin’ N’ Cryin’. Drivin’ N’ Cryin’ will take the stage at 9 p.m. while Cody Canada and the Departed begin at 10:30 p.m. Ticket prices range from $12-$18 depending on seat location and can be purchased online.
Golf Tournament at the Colonial
3. From May 20-26, the Colonial Country Club is hosting the 67th Crowne Plaza Invitational. While the tournament is already underway, there is still plenty to do and see this weekend at the PGA event. Daily admission tickets are still for sale and children under the age of 12 get in free. Some of the golfers competing include Rickie Fowler, Jim Furyk and Vijay Singh.
Knock Me With a Kiss
4. The play “Knock Me With a Kiss” opens Friday at 8 p.m. at the Jubilee Theatre. According to the theatre’s website, “Knock Me With a Kiss” is a romanticized account of the real-life 1928 marriage of W.E.B. Du Bois’ daughter to the famous Harlem poet Countee Cullen. Charles Smith wrote the play and it will be performed several times a week until June 16. Tickets for Friday's performance are $25 per person.
National Tap Dance Day
5. Get down to Arts Fifth Avenue Saturday to partake in the 24th Annual National Tap Dance Day. At 7 p.m., there will be performances by the Joe Rodgers Jazz Trio, the 5th Avenue Hi-Notes, DFW Dance Force and many more. The event is free to the public.
Van Cliburn International Piano Competition
6. At Bass Performance Hall this Friday, preliminary rounds begin for the Fourteenth Van Cliburn International Piano Competition. According to Bass Performance Hall’s website, thirty of the world’s finest young pianists come to Fort Worth to compete for the opportunity to become a performing artist on the world stage. Tickets for the different rounds are available online and sold in a variety of packages and pricing.
7. One pool reopens while another opens for the first time in Fort Worth this Saturday. The historic Forest Park Pool reopens at 10 a.m. near Southside Fort Worth, after being closed due to budget and maintenance issues in 2010. On the north side of town, Marine Park Aquatic Center, Fort Worth’s first all-new pool since 1960, opens at noon. The Marine Park Aquatic Center is located at 303 NW 20th Street.