The TCU women’s tennis team stretched its win streak to three matches after a 5-2 win over UT-Arlington at the UTA Tennis Center.
The Frogs improved their season mark to 5-6. The 59th-ranked Mavericks dropped to 9-4 on the year. The Frogs improved to 4-1 on the year against opponents from the state of Texas and have never lost in 14 matches with UTA.
“I was happy with our conditioning again today, especially in the longer matches,” TCU assistant coach Jason Marshall said. “At No. 1 doubles, we got down a break, but we able to come back. We’re feeling healthy and that’s good for these longer matches. The game ball today goes to Federica Denti.”
Denti earned the match-clinching fourth point for TCU at No. 2 singles with a 6-3, 0-6, 6-3 triumph. It was the Bellano, Italy’s native’s fourth-straight win and second win of the season at the No. 2 slot. Denti returned to the lineup after sitting out singles against Rice due to injury.
The Frogs jumped out to a 1-0 lead by way of doubles wins at Nos. 1 and 2 doubles. TCU’s No. 2 tandem of Gaby Mastromarino and Olivia Smith improved their season record to 4-6 with an 8-4 win over UTA’s Giada D’ortona and Natalia Mayuk.
The 52nd-ranked duo of Denti and Katariina Tuohimaa clinched the doubles point for TCU with an 8-6 win at the expense of Daiana Negreanu and Linda Aqvist at the No. 1 doubles spot.
TCU quickly extended its lead to 2-0 with Smith’s 6-3, 6-3 win over Katarina Michochova at No. 4 singles. The Bath, England, native is 6-5 this spring.
After UTA won at Nos. 5 and 1 singles to square the match at 2, Shalina Sahoo extended her singles-match winning streak to five with a 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 win over D’Ortona at the No. 6 slot. Her win brought her season mark to 7-4 and made the match 3-1 in favor of the Purple and White.
Denti’s win clinched the four needed points for TCU and Mastromarino provided the exclamation point with a 4-6, 7-6, 1-0 (10-5) win to seal a 5-2 win for the Frogs. The Tequesta, Fla., native has won four in a row.
The Frogs take a short break before returning to action March 29 against North Texas. The match is a reschedule of a previous match that was rained out at the ITA Kickoff Weekend.
1. Daiana Negreanu (W-UTA) def. Katariina Tuohimaa (TCU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Federica Denti (TCU) def. Linda Aqvist (W-UTA) 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
3. Gaby Mastromarino (TCU) def. Maria Martinez (W-UTA) 4-6, 7-6, 1-0 (10-5)
4. Olivia Smith (TCU) def. Katarina Micochova (W-UTA) 6-3, 6-3
5. Natalia Mayuk (W-UTA) def. Idunn Hertzberg (TCU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Shalini Sahoo (TCU) def. Giada D’ortona (W-UTA) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
1. Katariina Tuohimaa/Federica Denti (TCU) def. Daiana Negreanu/Linda Aqvist (W-UTA) 8-6
2. Olivia Smith/Gaby Mastromarino (TCU) def. Giada D’ortona/Natalia Mayuk (W-UTA) 8-4
3. Maria Martinez/Nikola Matovicova (W-UTA) def. Maria Babanova/Shalini Sahoo (TCU) 9-7
TCU 5-6; National ranking #75
UT Arlington 9-4; National ranking #59
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,5,1,6,2,3)