This is the style guide for TCU 360, Image and The Skiff. It provides style rules for TCU- and Fort Worth-specific titles, phrases and more. Items are in alphabetical order. Scroll or use Find to search for your topic (CMD + F on Mac, CTRL + F on Windows).
Abe Martin Academic Enhancement Center
the enhancement center on second reference. Usually pairs with the Dutch Meyer Athletic Complex.
See also: Dutch Meyer Athletic Complex
Capitalize school and college when they are parts of proper names
Activities & Organizations Fair
the organizations fair on second reference
AddRan College of Liberal Arts
AddRan College on second reference. Formerly the AddRan College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
See also: Office of Admission
Alcohol & Drug Education center
the ADE center on second reference
No surrounding quotes
Amon G. Carter Stadium
the stadium on second reference. The playing field is called the W.A. “Monty and Tex” Moncrief Field.
Do not capitalize before a name
Formerly known as Cowboys Stadium
Bard on the Rocks
TCU Theatre performance of a scene from “MacBeth” at Froghenge every year on Halloween night. First performed in 2005.
See also: Froghenge
Acceptable on all references for the Annie Richardson Bass Building
Bass Performance Hall
Bass Hall on second reference
Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center
See also: Friedman Tennis Center
Acceptable on all references for the Theodore Prentis Beasley Hall
Graduate housing for Brite Divinity School
Houses Kappa Alpha Theta, Delta Gamma, Chi Omega and Pi Beta Phi sororities
Big 12 Conference
the Big 12 or the conference on second reference. Current members are Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State (K-State acceptable on second reference), Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, University of Texas at Austin and West Virginia University. TCU joined July 1, 2012.
Black Alumni Alliance
the alliance on second reference
Board of Trustees
the board on second reference. TCU’s governing body. One scheduled meeting per semester.
Bob Schieffer College of Communication
the College of Communication on second reference. Contains the departments of Communication Studies and Film-TV-Digital Media and the schools of Journalism and Strategic Communication.
Brite Divinity School
the divinity school on second reference
Brown-Lupton Health Center
the health center on second reference
Brown-Lupton University Union
the BLUU on second reference
Brown-Lupton University Union Auditorium
the BLUU Auditorium on second reference
An option included in TCU dining plans that allows students to use their TCU IDs to pay for meals at on-campus restaurants
the Commons on second reference
Acceptable on all references for the Robert Carr Chapel
Acceptable on all references for Amon G. Carter Hall
Center for Career and Professional Development
the career center on second reference
Center for Instructional Services
the CIS on second reference
Center for International Studies
Oversees the university’s study abroad programs
Center for Writing
See also: Writing Center
See also: Victor J. Boschini Jr.
the assembly on second reference. Part of Frogs First.
Chancellor’s Leadership Program
the CLP on second reference
Leaders of TCU were called presidents until 1959, when the Board of Trustees changed M. E. Sadler’s title from president to chancellor. The duties of president and chancellor were separate until Sadler’s retirement in 1965. The title of chancellor has applied to all leaders of TCU since Sadler. A complete list of TCU’s chief administrators can be found at www.chancellor.tcu.edu/history.asp.
Avoid predictions such as charges will be filed. The kindred charges are pending should not be used unless attributed to someone. Best: No charges have been filed. As a matter of policy, wait until the district attorney has accepted charges against a suspect before reporting that the suspect has been charged.
Chords for Kids
Christmas Tree Lighting
the tree lighting on second reference
For cities in Texas, you don’t have to put Texas, unless the city may be confused with somewhere else (like Paris, Texas).
- Common cities in Tarrant County are Arlington, Azle (which is partly in Parker County), Bedford, Benbrook, Burleson (which is partly in Johnson County), Colleyville, Euless, Forest Hill, Fort Worth, Grapevine (which is partly in Dallas and Denton Counties), Haltom City, Hurst, Keller, Lake Worth, Mansfield (which is partly in Ellis and Johnson Counties), North Richland Hills, Richland Hills, Saginaw, Southlake (which is partly in Denton County) and White Settlement.
- Common cities in Texas are Abilene, Amarillo, Austin, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Dallas, Galveston, Grand Prairie, Houston, Irving, Lubbock, Mesquite, Midland, Odessa, Plano, Roanoke, San Angelo, San Antonio, Waco and Wichita Falls.
Clark Brothers Statue
the statue on second reference
Do not capitalize before a name. Do not say football head coach. It is head football coach. The same applies to all other sports, as well as other coaching positions besides head coach. If in doubt, ask the associate editor, the sports editor or the editor-in-chief.
College of Education
College of Fine Arts
Contains the Schools of Art, Music and Classical & Contemporary Dance, and the Departments of Graphic Design, Interior Design and Fashion Merchandising and Theatre.
College of Science & Engineering
Includes the School of Geology, Energy and the Environment (SGEE is acceptable on second reference).
colleges and universities
All colleges and universities should be identified by full name on first reference, except for certain Texas schools, or unless a sports story is on the front page (follow AP style). On second reference, college or university can be left out of the title. Abbreviations are not acceptable on second reference unless otherwise noted. Follow second reference guidelines for tabular material (headlines, info boxes, etc.) unless otherwise noted. If in doubt, ask an editor. Texas colleges and universities of importance include:
- Angelo State University — ASU on second reference. Part of the Texas Tech University system.
- Baylor University — Baylor on first reference
- Hardin-Simmons University
- Midwestern State University
- Prairie View A&M University — Part of the Texas A&M University system
- Rice University
- Stephen F. Austin State University — SFA on second reference
- Southern Methodist University — SMU on all references
- Tarleton State University — Part of the Texas A&M University system
- Tarrant County College — TCC on second reference. Note: Identify which campus.
- Texas A&M University — Texas A&M on first reference. A&M on second reference. Note: Use of Texas A&M without a town means College Station. If meaning another campus (Galveston, Commerce, Corpus Christi, Kingsville, Texarkana), mention that in the story.
- Texas State University — TSU in tabular material
- Texas Tech University
- Texas Wesleyan University — Do not use TWU in any reference
- Texas Woman’s University — Do not use TWU in any reference
- Trinity University
- University of Dallas
- University of Houston
- University of North Texas — UNT on second reference
- University of Texas at Arlington — UTA on second reference
- University of Texas at Austin — UT on second reference
- University of Texas at Brownsville — UT-Brownsville on second reference
- University of Texas at Dallas — UTD on second reference
- University of Texas at El Paso — UTEP on second reference
- University of Texas-Pan American — UTPA on second reference
- University of Texas at San Antonio — UTSA on second reference
- University of Texas at Tyler — UT-Tyler on second reference
Spring Commencement, Fall Commencement. Use commencement on second reference.
Community Scholars Program
the program on second reference. Do not capitalize community scholar when describing individuals (Patrick Smith, a community scholar; community scholar Patrick Smith).
Comprise means to include or contain. The whole comprises the parts.
Fall Convocation or Honors Convocation (occurs in the spring). Use convocation on second reference.
Corrections should appear on the front page.We do not write that we regret the error, and we do not restate the error.
Just give the date and page of story, say that it was incorrectly reported and give the correct information. Example: A Page 2 story Friday about [article topic] should have reported that [insert correction here].
If the number of corrections becomes cumbersome, split them into separate sentences. Example: …The story also should have reported that [insert further correction here].
Make sure the correction is approved by the editor-in-chief as soon as it is written by the responsible party. Then it will go through the editing process.
When possible, confine all corrections to the same box on the front page and separate corrections about different stories into paragraphs within that box. If more space is required, create another correction box.
Counseling and Mental Health Center
the counseling center on second reference
Includes Amon Carter Museum, Museum of Science and History, Kimbell Art Museum, Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, Casa Mañana, Fort Worth Botanic Gardens and Will Rogers Memorial Center. More information at http://www.fwculture.com/.
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
DFW Airport or the airport on second reference. If it could be confused with another airport, use DFW Airport on second reference.
Dallas-Fort Worth area
Not Fort Worth-Dallas. DFW is acceptable on second reference, but make sure it’s clear you mean the whole region and not the airport. Metroplex should be used sparingly.
Dallas Love Field airport
The airport on second reference. If it could be confused with another airport, use Love Field on second reference.
not dance recital
Daniel-Meyer Athletic Complex
the athletic complex on second reference. Includes the Ed and Rae Schollmaier Arena, the Ed and Rae Schollmaier Basketball Complex and the Sam Baugh Indoor Practice Facility for football.
Dan Rogers Hall
Acceptable on all references for Dan D. Rogers Hall
Datelines should indicate that a reporter was actually at the datelined city to cover the story. If the story was written entirely on TCU’s campus, no dateline should be used. Follow AP style to determine whether to include the name of a state or nation.
Dee J. Kelly Alumni & Visitors Center
See also: Kelly Center
See also: TCU Dining Services
Dutch Meyer Athletic Complex
the athletic complex on second reference. Usually pairs with the Abe Martin Academic Enhancement Center.
See also: Abe Martin Academic Enhancement Center
Dutch’s Burgers and Beer
Ed Landreth Hall
Acceptable on all references for the Ed Landreth Hall and Auditorium
Einstein Bros Bagels
Einstein Bros on second reference
Note the uncapitalized “e” and surrounding quotes
Acceptable on all references for the Sandra Brown Excellence in Literary Fiction Scholarship
Erma Lowe Hall
Put the year before the name (2015 Fact Book). The Fact Book on second reference.
lowercase unless with proper noun (spring 2001, spring semester, Fall Commencement)
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
FERPA on second reference. Federal law governing student education records. Also known as the Buckley Amendment.
film-TV-digital media major
FTDM major on second reference
Flex 7 meal plan
the meal plan or the Flex 7 plan on second reference
Flex 12 meal plan
the meal plan or the Flex 12 plan on second reference
Fort Worth geography
Capitalize north, south, west and east when referring to specific parts of the city
Fort Worth Zoo
the zoo on second reference
the statue on second reference. Founders is not possessive.
Frances Sadler Hall
Houses Alpha Delta Pi and Sigma Kappa sororities. Not to be confused with Sadler Hall, the administration building.
Fraternity & Sorority Life
FSL on second reference
Friedman Tennis Center
tennis center on second reference
An option included in TCU dining plans that allows students to use their TCU IDs to pay for meals at off-campus restaurants. A pre-determined balance comes with certain dining plans.
Frog Calls Directory
Frog Calls on second reference
Camps include Alpine, Casa Nueva, Challenge and Costa Rica. See more at http://sds.tcu.edu/students/incoming/frogcamp/about-frog-camp/.
Acceptable on all references for the TCU police escort service. Note that the name ends with a 0 (zero), not an O.
Acceptable on all references
Frog It Forward
Frog Pass Gold meal plan
the meal plan or the gold plan on second reference
Frog Pass Limited 50 meal plan
the meal plan or the limited plan on second reference
Frog Pass Platinum meal plan
the meal plan or the platinum plan on second reference
Frog Pass Silver
the meal plan or the silver plan on second reference
Acceptable on all references
See also: Horned Frog
Frogs First Dinner
the dinner on second reference
Garvey-Rosenthal Soccer Stadium
the stadium on second reference
Acceptable on all references for grade point average
Capitalize on all references as proper noun
the village on second reference. Currently incomplete.
Use the society’s full name on first reference. Commonly known nicknames are acceptable on second reference. Be sure to indicate if it is a fraternity or sorority. Note if it is a service fraternity.
- Alpha Phi Alpha (Alphas)
- Beta Theta Pi (Beta)
- Beta Upsilon Chi (Brothers Under Christ or BYX) — BYX on second reference
- Delta Tau Delta (Delt)
- Kappa Alpha Psi (Kappas)
- Kappa Kappa Psi (band service fraternity)
- Kappa Sigma (Kappa Sig)
- Lambda Chi Alpha (Lambda Chi)
- Lambda Theta Alpha (Lambda Theta Alpha)
- Lambda Theta Phi (Lambda Theta Phi)
- Omega Delta Phi (multicultural fraternity)
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity (ques)
- Phi Delta Theta (Phi Delt)
- Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI)
- Phi Kappa Sigma (Phi Kap)
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (music fraternity)
- Pi Kappa Phi (Pi Kap)
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE)
- Sigma Chi
- Sigma Nu
- Sigma Phi Epsilon (SigEp)
- Alpha Chi Omega (A Chi O)
- Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi)
- Alpha Kappa Alpha (AKA)
- Alpha Omicron Pi (AOII)
- Chi Omega (Chi O)
- Chi Upsilon Sigma (CUS)
- Delta Delta Delta (Tri Delta)
- Delta Gamma (DG)
- Delta Sigma Theta (Delta)
- Eta Iota Sigma (He Is Sufficient or HIS) — HIS on second reference
- Gamma Phi Beta (Gamma Phi)
- Kappa Alpha Theta (Theta)
- Kappa Kappa Gamma (Kappa)
- Kappa Lambda Delta
- Phi Mu
- Pi Beta Phi (Pi Phi)
- Sigma Kappa (SK)
- Sigma Lambda Alpha ()
- Tau Beta Sigma (band service sorority)
- Zeta Tau Alpha (Zeta)
Green Honors Chair
Each department can bring in one person every year to serve as a Green Honors Chair. Not related to the John V. Roach Honors College, but the honors college can have its own chair.
Hall Crew Association
Hall Crew on second reference
Harris College of Nursing & Health Sciences
Harris College on second reference. Note the ampersand.
Acceptable on all references for the W. Oliver and Nell A. Harrison Building. Made for the Brite Divinity School.
Acceptable on all references for Marlene Moss Hays Hall
Graduate housing for Brite Divinity School
Not Horn Frog. Capitalize in reference to the mascot. Horned Frogs, Frog or Frogs also acceptable.
- Baylor All Saints Medical Center
- Cook Children’s
- Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Southwest Fort Worth
- Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital HEB (Bedford)
- Texas Health Huguley Hospital Fort Worth South
- John Peter Smith Hospital
- Plaza Medical Center of Fort Worth
Remove Texas Health and Fort Worth on second reference.
Housing & Residence Life
HRL on second reference. Note the ampersand.
Image staff members do not retain their titles when published in the Skiff
Inclusiveness & Intercultural Services
the IIS on second reference
Independent Greek Council
Institute of Behavioral Research
the IBR on second reference
Intensive English Program
the IEP on second reference
the IFC on second reference
Interior Design & Merchandising building
the interior design building on second reference
See also: majors
Jane Justin Field House
the field house on second reference. Within the Garvey-Rosenthal Soccer Stadium.
Jerita Foley Buschman Theatre
Within Ed Landreth Auditorium
See also: Ed Landreth Hall
Jimmy John’s Sandwiches
Jimmy John’s on second reference
John V. Roach Honors College
the Honors College on second reference
Acceptable on all references for the John Justin Athletic Center
Acceptable on all references
KinderFrogs on second reference. Shares a facility with Starpoint School.
King Family Commons
The “multipurpose building” is acceptable on second reference. The building first opened on January 2015. This building has five different eating establishments: The Press, O’Brien’s Grill, Caliente, Magnolia’s Bistro, and The Big Purple Truck. In addition to these dining options, the building also has a variety of chairs and study areas for students to use. The office of Fraternity and Sorority Life is found on the second floor of this building. The name is in recognition of Mr. and Mrs. J. Luther King, Jr. and the King family.
Acceptable on all references for Teresa and Luther King Hall
KTCU FM 88.7
KTCU on first reference. KTCU FM 88.7 in info boxes. The station’s full name is KTCU-FM 88.7 “The Choice.”
Housing complex for Brite Divinity School and TCU graduate students
Live Oak Reading Series
Live Oak on second reference
Lowdon Track and Field Complex
Acceptable on first reference for the Robert and Maria Lowdon Track and Field Complex. The track complex on second reference.
Lunch Roulette program
Lunch Roulette on second reference
Lupton Baseball Stadium
Acceptable on first reference for the Charlie and Marie Lupton Baseball Stadium. The stadium on second reference. The field is the Williams-Reilly Field.
Graduate housing for Brite Divinity School
Identify all students by their majors, except members of the House of Student Representatives Executive Board and athletes with specific positions. Do not capitalize majors unless they are proper names (English major but accounting major). Use the specific major combined with the general major where appropriate (news-editorial journalism major but strategic communication major). Use “a” before a major if the major comes after the name, but not if the major comes before the name (Jarod Daily, a sophomore news-editorial journalism major, but sophomore news-editorial journalism major Jarod Daily).
For double majors, list both areas of study and clarify that there are two (Laura McFarland, a news-editorial journalism and English double major, not a news-editorial journalism/English major or news-editorial journalism and English major).
Below is a list of most of TCU’s majors. If not found here, check the individual college’s website to make sure the major is still offered.
- actuarial science
- aerospace studies
- African American and Africana studies
- all level education: early childhood – 12
- applied geoscience
- art education
- art history
- arts administration (minor only)
- Asian studies (minor only)
- athletic training
- British and colonial—post-colonial studies (minor)
- business information systems
- child development
- classical studies (minor only)
- communication studies
- computer information technology
- computer science
- criminal justice
- early childhood education
- educational studies (minor only)
- energy technology and management (minor only)
- entrepreneurial management
- environmental science
- fashion merchandising
- film-TV-digital media
- finance with real estate
- general business (minor only)
- graphic design
- habilitation of the deaf/hard of hearing
- health and fitness
- health care ethics (minor only)
- healthy aging (minor only)
- interior design
- international economics
- Italian (minor only)
- Jewish studies (minor only)
- Latina/o studies (minor only)
- lighting for visual presentation (minor only)
- middle school education
- military science (program)
- modern language studies
- movement science
- music education
- nutritional sciences
- physical education
- political science
- pre-health professions (track)
- pre-law (track)
- pre-major (undecided)
- psychology of leadership (minor only)
- ranch management
- secondary education
- social work
- Spanish & Hispanic studies
- Spanish for business professionals (minor only)
- Spanish for health professions (minor only)
- speech-language pathology
- sport psychology
- sports broadcasting
- strategic communication
- studio art
- supply & value chain management
- urban studies (minor only)
- women and gender studies (minor only)
Marlene and Spencer Hays Theatre
Hays Theatre on second reference. Within the Walsh Center for Performing Arts.
See also: Walsh Center for Performing Arts
Houses the Delta Tau Delta, Phi Gamma Delta, Phi Kappa Sigma and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternities
Mary Couts Burnett Library
the library on second reference
Mary Wright Admission Center
the admission center on second reference
Can refer to teams by their mascots as long as the school name is used on first reference (the Baylor Bears played the Frogs yesterday…the Bears lost)
McAlister’s on second reference
Note the apostrophe
Meacham International Airport
Located in Fort Worth
Trademarked name. Used in residence halls.
PowerPoint on second reference
midterm is acceptable on second reference
Miller Speech and Hearing Clinic
Acceptable on first reference for the W.C. Jack and Maude Y. Miller Speech and Hearing Clinic. Miller Clinic on second reference.
Milton Daniel Hall
Acceptable on all references for the W.L. Moody Jr., Hall. Houses the Alpha Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma and Zeta Tau Alpha sororities.
Acceptable on all references for the Jo Ann and Wayne Moore Building. Part of the Brite Divinity School
Graduate housing for Brite Divinity School and TCU graduate students
Acceptable on all references for the J.M. Moudy Visual Arts and Communication Building. Houses the School of Art.
Acceptable on all references for the J.M. Moudy Visual Arts and Communication Building. Houses the Bob Schieffer College of Communication.
Multicultural Greek Council
the MGC on second reference
Music Building South
Houses the TCU Opera Studio, the John Large Vocal Arts Laboratory and some of the TCU Percussion Studio for the School of Music
National Pan-Hellenic Council
the council on second reference
Neeley School of Business
Neeley on second reference
provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs
Office of Admission
the admission office on second reference. Note the website is admissions.tcu.edu.
Office of Church Relations
Supports the partnership between the university and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Office of Extended Education
Office of Financial Aid
the financial aid office on second reference
One Million Reasons program
the OMR program on second reference
See also: Activities & Organizations Fair
Capitalize references to first-year Orientation
Acceptable on all references for the Betsy and Steve Palko Hall
the council on second reference. The central organizational unit for Greek sororities.
Paschal High School
Paschal on second reference. Located at 3001 Forest Park Blvd. The phone number is (817) 814-5000.
P.E. Clark Hall
Acceptable on all references for the Pamela and Edward Clark Hall
PepsiCo Recital Hall
PepsiCo Hall on second reference. Within the Walsh Center for Performing Arts.
See also: Walsh Center for Performing Arts
plus/minus grading system
Grades are written using hyphens (B-plus, C-minus). Plurals (D-pluses, C-minuses).
Potbelly Sandwich Shop
Potbelly on second reference
There is no pre-med or pre-law major
See also: majors
News conference is preferred (see AP style)
Editor-in-chief’s approval required for any use. In most cases, avoid or rephrase it in direct quotes (see AP style).
First level is assistant professor, second level is associate professor and third level is professor. If the person isn’t a professor, the person may be a lecturer or instructor.
programs and themes
Standing programs are capitalized. The theme for a specific program goes in quotes (The Good Editing program sponsored a “Get to Know Your Stylebook” weekend).
Acceptable on all references for Dave C. Reed Hall
Religious & Spiritual Life
RSL on second reference
Related content/”Read More”
- Add links to other TCU 360 stories that are relevant to your story. All stories on 360 should link to other stories on 360.
- Read more: Headline goes here with link to that story
Residence Hall Association
the association on second reference
RA on second reference
Rickel Academic Wing
Located on west side of University Recreation Center
See also: University Recreation Center
“Riff Ram” chant
“Riff Ram” on second reference
Only use alone as an adjective (the ROTC cadet).
See also: TCU Army ROTC program
Acceptable on all references for M.E. Sadler Hall
Salsa Limón Universidad
Salsa Limón on second reference. Note the accented “o.”
sand volleyball courts
the courts on second reference
Sam Baugh Indoor Practice Facility
the practice facility on second reference. The field is Cox Field.
Acceptable on all references for Kellye Wright Samuelson Hall
Acceptable on all references for Clarence and Kerry Scharbauer Hall
Acceptable on first reference for the Ed and Rae Schollmaier Arena. The arena on second reference.
Schollmaier Basketball Complex
Acceptable on first reference for the Ed and Rae Schollmaier Basketball Complex. The basketball complex on second reference.
purple and white
School for Classical & Contemporary Dance
the dance school acceptable on second reference
School of Art
the art school acceptable on second reference
School of Music
the music school acceptable on second reference
Senseless Acts of Comedy
SAC on second reference
Sid Richardson Building
Acceptable on first reference for the Sid W. Richardson Building. Sid Richardson on second reference.
Acceptable on all references for Steve and Sarah Smith Entrepreneurs Hall
Teams play matches, not games. TCU has no men’s varsity team.
First authority is the TCU 360 style guide for TCU-related references, second is the AP Stylebook, third is the Webster’s New World Dictionary and fourth is the Webster’s Third New International Dictionary. Always run spell check.
Spencer and Marlene Hays Business Commons
the Hays Business Commons on second reference. Currently incomplete.
Previously Sponsored Research
Shares facility with KinderFrogs School. Starpoint on second reference.
Steel City Pops
Steel City on second reference
Steinway & Sons
The School of Music uses all Steinway & Sons pianos
Student Development Services
SDS on second reference
Student Government Association
SGA on second reference. Its four branches are executive, legislative, judicial and programming.
- Cabinet — executive branch. Made up of the leaders of SGA’s branches, including the four elected positions (student body president, student body vice president, etc.).
- House of Student Representatives — legislative branch. The House on second reference. Led by the Executive Board, which consists of the speaker of the House, six standing committee chairs, an administrative assistant, a parliamentarian and a chaplain. Majors do not have to be listed for House officials. Refer to committee heads as John Doe, chairman of the Academic Affairs Committee; Jane Smith, chairwoman of the Finance Committee.
- Judicial Board — judicial branch. Chief justice and between 10-15 other student members. Meets on a case-by-case basis.
- theCrew — programming branch. Six groups led by student leaders. Members are not necessarily members of SGA.
- Frog Aides — first-year leadership development program. Led by two directors and five executive team members.
See also: Center for International Studies
Acceptable on all references for Student Wireless
- Use subheads to break up longer stories and set off sections/topics within a story.
- Subheads should always be H2 headings; not bold or any other size heading.
Acceptable on all references for the Charles D. Tandy Hall
Capitalize task force when part of the proper name of a task force (Fine Arts Task Force). Lowercase generalizations (the task force).
Use acronym in all references, except in quoted material. Always refer to the institution as a university, never a school.
TCU Army ROTC program
the ROTC program on second reference
See also: ROTC
the bookstore on second reference
TCU Core Curriculum
the core on second reference
TCU Dining Services
Acceptable on all references. Sodexo is the company with which TCU has a contract.
- Bistro Burnett
- The Press
- Sushi Mama (Smith Hall)
- Union Grounds
LEAPS on second reference
TCU Marching Band
the band on second reference
TCU MLK Day of Service
the Day of Service on second reference
System that will replace eCollege
See also: eCollege
Use instead of campus police
TCU Police Department
the police department on second reference
the Rangers on second reference
TCU Rifle Range
the rifle range on second reference
the Showgirls on second reference
Note the space
The Associated Press
AP on second reference
Note the spelling of theatre
Only capitalize “the” when it starts a sentence
Note the capitalized “t” and the space
Don’t use “today” or “tomorrow” except in quotes. Use Monday, Tuesday, etc. for days of the week within seven days before or after the publication date.
Tom Brown/Pete Wright apartments
the TBPW apartments on second reference. Tom Brown includes Herndon Hall and Mabee Hall. Pete Wright includes Walker Hall, Fish Hall, Britain Hall and Mullins Hall.
Houses Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Delta Theta and Sigma Chi fraternities
Tucker Technology Center
Acceptable on first reference for the William E. and Jean Jones Tucker Technology Center. Tucker on second reference.
Tunnel of Oppression
TCU on first reference. Lowercase university in all references unless part of a proper name.
University Recreation Center
rec center on second reference
- Most of the time, you’ll just be adding something, like a comment from a source or additional information. This could be as simple as adding a quote, an embedded tweet or a document. It doesn’t change the nature of the story but adds value after originally publishing.
- Click the Publish date and time and change to when you’re making the update.
- At the top of the story, add an italicized line following this style:
- This story was updated at 4 p.m. July 14 to include a copy of the Chancellor’s document.
- Except in the case of fast-breaking news (a fire in a campus building, tornados bearing down on TCU), stories should NOT be updated with new blocks of text sitting atop the original story. It’s better to do a writethru, or rewrite the story. This usually just requires rewriting your lede and a few other grafs; but it should be one, cohesive story.
- Sometimes it’s better to do that in the original story post; sometimes it’s better to have a new post. When in doubt, talk with your editors or Jean Marie.
- In this case, be sure to change the headline to reflect the new information or angle.
Victor J. Boschini Jr.
Chancellor Victor Boschini on first reference. Use Boschini for all other references.
Vision In Action
Note the capitalization. VIA on second reference.
Acceptable on all references for the E.M. Waits Hall
Walsh Center for Performing Arts
Acceptable on first reference for the Mary D. and F. Howard Walsh Center for Performing Arts. Walsh Center on second reference. Includes the PepsiCo Recital Hall and Hays Theatre.
Note the website is what2do.tcu.edu
Typically houses upperclassmen assigned to Greek chapter facility housing
Winthrop Rockefeller Building
Acceptable on first reference for the Winthrop Rockefeller Building for Ranch Management. The Rockefeller Building on second reference.
Acceptable on all references for the Winton-Scott Hall of Science
Acceptable on all references for the Mary and Robert J. Wright Residence Hall
Acceptable on all references for the William L. Adams Center for Writing
Not ya’ll. Do not use unless in a column or a quote.
The university’s ZIP code is 76129